I get a lot of emails from readers who want to learn how to coupon in order to save money.
But the truth is grocery couponing is not all it’s cracked up to be.
In the last few years, extreme couponing became very popular due to the TV show.
However, in reality, trying to coupon like the TV show is unrealistic for most of us.
I’ve tried to coupon before and spent hours only to save very little. It just wasn’t worth my time to spend 2 hours to only save $5. And then you are restricted to the brands and products that have coupons, which are usually the newest version of something that I don’t need or will use.
Also, you might see a great deal featured on a blog but when you go to the store and try to do the deal for yourself, you won’t always get that same deal due a checkout person who misreads a coupon, doesn’t understand all of the rules, or a certain coupon doesn’t scan in the system. And then you have to argue for your deal or talk to a manager.
I’m a mom of two now, including a 7 month old and I don’t get much sleep. That’s just too much effort for me!
What I do now is look for deals on high priced items I need to buy on a regular basis like formula and diapers. Formula can easily cost $168/month because my baby drinks a lot of milk.
Early this year, I found that Amazon’s Subscribe and Save program include our brand of formula! And I can save over $50/mo. if I buy it through them.
What’s the catch, you say? Because there is always a catch, right?
The Ins and Outs Amazon’s Subscribe and Save
Subscribe and Save is a monthly subscription program by Amazon Prime. When you subscribe to an item, you’ll receive it every month until you cancel.
You can subscribe to things like toilet paper, formula, diapers, baby food, groceries, personal care items, cat litter, and more.
Check the thousands of items available for Subscribe and Save here.
1. Be an member of Amazon Prime (like a full fledged member, not Student Prime). You need to be an Amazon Prime member in order to be eligible for Subscribe and Save.
2. You save 15% on each Subscribe and Save item if you subscribe to 5 or more items. That 15% discount is HUGE and is comparable to couponing. Sometimes it’s a better deal than what you can get with couponing. If it’s less than 5 items, then you receive 5% off.
3. The items are only delivered once a month, around the 15th of the month. This kinda sucks if you need something right away. And you don’t really know what the exact date is when Amazon will charge your account for the items.
They say it’s around the 15th, but I’ve gotten my items way before that like on the 12th and have gotten my account charged on the 6th of the month. This is challenging when you are using a debit card to pay for things.
Also, it may be tough to have the money ready to pay for those 5+ items all at once, especially if it’s the few days before pay period when you are low on cash. See what I mean?
4. You can always order an item without waiting for the Subscribe and Save delivery but you won’t get the Subscribe and Save discount. You will get the coupon discount, if there is one.
5. You can always skip a delivery for a month. But if the item count is less than 5 then you will only get the 5% off, not 15% off.
6. Many items have a digital coupon like $3.00 – $5.00 off in addition to the Subscribe and Save discount. You’ll see the coupon under the item’s price. Just click to “clip” the coupon and the discount will be applied at checkout. Gosh, some of the deals are unbelievably good!
7. Cancel or change a Subscribe and Save item anytime. It’s super simple to cancel an item. Just go into your account and look under Subscribe & Save.
My Favorite Amazon Subscribe and Save Deals
Earth’s Best Formula
Chebe Gluten-Free Pizza Mix
This is my favorite, favorite pizza mix. My entire family loves it! Hands down! Even if you aren’t gluten-free, it’s an easy to make pizza dough that doesn’t require pulling the dough.
Barilla Gluten-Free Spaghetti
I’ve tried a lot of gluten-free pastas and Barilla makes the most authentic tasting gluten-free spaghetti. The texture is great and you can’t tell that it’s gluten-free.
Andalou Color and Correct SPF 30 Moisturizer
This is my favorite moisturizer for a little bit of coverage and sun protection.
Want to check out what it’s all about? Click here to see what’s available for Subscribe and Save.
This post contains affiliate links.