Did you know that your Instant Pot can also be a double boiler? Yes! Making Instant Pot Chocolate Covered Strawberries is kinda fun and challenging.
But it also makes a great gift! You know how much it costs to buy chocolate covered strawberries?
I know you’re wondering this so I checked for you. I looked at Edible Arrangements and for a dozen chocolate covered strawberries, without piping, it’s $30!
When you make it yourself, you’ll spend $5 – $10 for the chocolate, depending on if you go with just dark chocolate or white and dark chocolate.
And strawberries can range anywhere $3 for 16 oz. to $7.29 for 32 oz. depending on sales.
Before we dive into making chocolate covered strawberries in the Instant Pot, because I KNOW you can’t wait! I have some important precautions and tips.
The first time I made these, I messed up! I followed what everyone said online, which was to use chocolate chips. Don’t do this!!!
I don’t care what other blogs say, you can’t just use regular chocolate chips because it will turn out dull, lumpy, and sad.
So I consulted a professional pastry chef, who is the head baker at a high end hotel. It turns out that that I was doing it wrong!
Top Tips for Chocolate Covered Strawberries
1. Use chocolate melting wafers.
This is what professional bakers use so use what they use to get professional results. Melting wafers have an added oil or cocoa butter to help it wrap and harden quickly around the strawberries like Magic Shell does.
With melting wafers, it dries and hardens super quick at room temperature, without refrigeration. Once I placed the just dipped strawberries down, they hardened within a minute or two!
2. Use a metal mixing bowl.
There are people who swear by using a glass bowl. But to err on the side of safety, use a metal mixing bowl.
We are dealing with heat here and glass has a higher chance of breaking with temperature changes. Glass mixing bowls also have a tendency of getting stuck to the Instant Pot!
When you clean the chocolate off of the mixing bowl, the chocolate will solidify at room temperature. So you’ll need boiling hot water to clean it off.
I’ve broken a glass Pyrex dish before, when I tried to rinse it while it was still hot. It shattered into the sink. After that, I vowed to be very careful when using glass bakeware.
3. Cook at a low temperature.
When boiling water in the Instant Pot, use Less mode in the Saute setting. When I did made these strawberries the first time, I used More mode and overcooked the chocolate. The chocolate melted lumpy!
4. To fridge or not to fridge?
With melting wafers, there’s no need to fridge the chocolate to help it dry because it will dry within a minute of two. If you plan on serving chocolate covered strawberries within an hour or two of making, then leave it out.
Once you fridge them, condensation will form. However, if you don’t plan on serving or gifting the chocolate covered strawberries within an hour or two, then by all means, fridge them to preserve freshness. But they should be eaten within 24 hours.
Where to Buy
Melting wafers can be found in the baking section of your local grocery store. I found them at Safeway.
You can also buy them on Amazon. I used Ghiradelli brand melting wafers. Or buy both dark chocolate and white chocolate melting wafers.
This post contains affiliate links.
Instant Pot Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 2 Metal Mixing Bowls that are large enough to rest on top of Instant Pot
- Oven Mitt
- 2 Heat-Safe Spatulas
- Wash strawberries and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside in a bowl.
Dark Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Remove Instant Pot lid. Pour cup of water into Instant Pot.
- Turn on Saute mode on your Instant Pot. Press adjust until you are at the "Less" setting.
- While waiting for Instant Pot to heat up, cut a piece of parchment paper and line a baking dish.
- After a minute or two, put metal mixing bowl on top of Instant Pot. Pour chocolate melting wafers into mixing bowl. Use an oven mitt to handle the hot mixing bowl and a spatula to mix wafers until fully melted.
- Press cancel button to turn off Instant Pot. Hold strawberry by the stem and dip into melted chocolate using a twisting motion. Make sure to coat all the way around.
- Lay 6 chocolate dipped strawberries onto baking dish lined with parchment paper. When finished, spoon the leftover melted chocolate into a ziploc bag for piping. Set aside.
White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Remove the metal bowl of chocolate from Instant Pot. To the Instant Pot, add 1/2 cup of water to the water already in the Instant Pot.
- Turn on Saute mode on your Instant Pot and make sure it's at "Less" setting.
- After a minute or two, put a clean metal mixing bowl on top of Instant Pot. Pour vanilla (white chocolate) melting wafers into mixing bowl. Use an oven mitt to handle the hot mixing bowl and use a spatula to mix wafers until fully melted.
- Press cancel button to turn off Instant Pot. Hold strawberry by the stem and dip into melted white chocolate using a twisting motion. Make sure to coat all the way around.
- Lay 6 white chocolate dipped strawberries onto baking dish lined with parchment paper. You can use the same baking dish that holds the dark chocolate covered strawberries. When finished, spoon the melted white chocolate into a ziploc bag for piping. Set aside.
Pipe Dark Chocolate onto White Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Using kitchen scissors, snip a tiny corner of the ziploc filled with melted dark chocolate.
- Practice piping in a zig zag formation on parchment paper first. Then pipe the dark chocolate onto the white chocolate covered strawberries in a zig zag formation.
Pipe White Chocolate onto Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Using kitchen scissors, snip a tiny corner of the ziploc filled with melted white chocolate.
- Practice piping in a zig zag formation on parchment paper first. Then pipe the white chocolate onto the dark chocolate covered strawberries in a zig zag formation.
- Let dry and serve. Or fridge if you can't serve it within an hour or two. Eat within 24 hours. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. When you make a qualifying purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
You Might Also Like:
Chocolate Fountain Ideas and Set Up Guide
S’mores in the Oven
Afternoon Tea at Home with Trader Joe’s Items