Instant Pot Popcorn is surprisingly easy to make, if you know the trick. I tried times to make popcorn in my Instant Pot, but failed to yield the motherload of popcorn that I’ve yielded in the past from making it on the stove.
Why make popcorn in pressure cooker vs. the stove? The temperature is more consistent in the Instant Pot, plus the butter gets infused better in the Instant Pot.
The Right Kind of Coconut Oil to Use
I looked at a lot of other recipes and they all say to used coconut oil but don’t go into detail as to what kind. Does it matter? Yes, it does!
There’s a difference between refined and unrefined coconut oil. Refined coconut oil is the one to use to make popcorn as it can handle higher temperatures.
Refined coconut oil also has a neutral flavor. Unrefined coconut oil tastes well, coconuty, if that’s a word.
The first 4 times I made Instant Pot Popcorn were failures, with only 2 cups of popcorn and lots of unpopped kernels. I used Trader Joe’s coconut oil, which was unrefined. This whole time I thought all coconut oil could handle high heat but I learned a lot from this failure.
Pressure Cooker Popcorn with Ghee
Next, I tried ghee since it can handle higher temperatures and to my surprise, the popcorn popped better! Then I finally got my hands on refined coconut oil and got similar great results.
Instant Pot Popcorn without Coconut Oil
If you want to make Instant Pot Popcorn without coconut oil, you can use any oil with a high smoke point. Vegetable, canola, or avocado oil will work as well.
What kind of lid to I need?
The only special tool you need to make popcorn in the Instant Pot is a lid. You might have a lid that fits the Instant Pot or buy one on Amazon here. (affiliate link)
I prefer a clear glass lid so that I can see what’s going on inside.
Instant Pot Popcorn Recipe Video
Instant Pot Popcorn
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil can also use ghee or canola oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons butter (salted) melted
- salt to taste
- Turn on the saute button and select more. When the display says HOT, add in the coconut oil and mix.
- After a minute, pour in popcorn kernels. Stir until all popcorn kernels are covered in oil. Make sure that the kernels are in a single layer.
- Close the lid. Wait for the popcorn to start popping. It may take 1 – 3 minutes.
- When the popcorn has slowed down or stopped popping for about 30 seconds, then press the cancel button to turn off the Instant Pot. Let the pot cool off and settle before opening lid. Be careful when removing the lid.
- Pour melted butter and salt over popcorn.