Are you obsessed with matcha as much as I am? Matcha Green Tea Latte is one of my favorite, go-to drinks in the mornings!
I used to buy this at Peet’s Coffee but didn’t want to drive there all the time. So I learned how to make it at home and found out how easy it is!
Matcha green tea powder is originally made in Japan. It’s the actual tea leaves that are ground into a fine powder so it’s pretty potent.
Matcha is rich in antioxidants called polyphenols, which may protect against heart disease, cancer, blood sugar reduction, and aid in anti-aging.
The taste is slightly bitter but when balanced with milk and honey, it’s rich, smooth and dark.
Make sure your matcha comes from Japan as the ones made in China might contain lead! Yikes!
How to Mix Matcha
Matcha is a little tough to mix, especially if you try to mix it into milk. Matcha powder has a cocoa powder consistency so it tends to clump up.
So it’s best to mix the matcha first with a tablespoon of hot water to form a paste. Then it will mix better with steamed milk.
I use a bamboo whisk that’s specifically for mixing matcha. It definitely makes it easier! You can use a metal whisk but it’s a harder to mix with it.
Some people sift their matcha with a strainer. I don’t do this because it doesn’t make a difference to me.
Kinds of Matcha
There are 2 grade of matcha to pay attention to:
- Ceremonial grade – good for drinking when mixed with hot water as a straight tea.
- Culinary grade – great for baking, cooking, and lattes and smoothies.
Where to Buy
Other Places to Buy Matcha
- Trader Joe’s
- Asian Grocery Store
- Whole Foods or other health food store
If you make a purchase through the Amazon links above, I will receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
Other Coffeehouse Drinks to Make:
Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Small pot
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 – 2 teaspoon honey
- Milk Foam optional
- In a mug, add matcha powder to hot water. Mix well with a bamboo brush or whisk until a paste forms.
- Heat milk in a pan on medium heat until it starts to steam. Remove from heat and pour into mug with matcha paste.
- Sweeten with honey to taste.
- Add milk foam from a milk frother. (optional)